Tuesday, December 22, 2015

In Praise of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Good [insert time of day here],

This isn't a serious post about actual issues. Not in the slightest. But given it's almost Christmas I figured I might as well write this.

A lot of people don't like Mormons, for some reason. I think this is silly; disliking people for their religion is just sort of a bad thing. I've met wonderful people who were Mormons. And I think it was awfully dumb of people to dislike Mitt Romney because he was Mormon due to the presence of a whole slew of far more rational reasons to dislike him.

But the thing I like the most about the Mormons is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. These people are awesome. Last December I found their recordings of Christmas music and was utterly, utterly blown away.

To demonstrate, take a listen to the only recording of Jingle Bells that can be described truthfully as 'epic.'


It sounds amazing and the arranger, James Pierpont, gives the song an almost Wagnerian grandeur to it. The modulations make it sound absolutely eerie at times.

They also do great things with Joy to the World and the Ukrainian Bell Carol, among others. Leaving Christmas music, they also do the best version of the Battle Hymn of the Republic I've ever heard, and also a great Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean.

That's it. Happy [insert end of year holiday of your choice here]

No comments:

Post a Comment